St Joseph’s was founded in 1872 and has faithfully served our local community for 150 years
The Founding of St Joseph’s R.C. School, in a building provided by the Diocese situated on Crown Hill (now Crown Dale).
It had a starting roll of 48 boys and was a boys’ school until 1900.
The first extension was built to give more room.
The school was taken over by Croydon County Borough Council.
After new buildings were added to house girls and infants, the school became a Mixed School with Infants, although still known as St. Joseph’s R.C. School.
An extra classroom was added using funds from the legacy of a benefactor (Miss King) plus £17 (the proceeds of a jumble sale).
A number of new buildings were planned and built including a new kitchen block, to enable the children to have dinner in school.
After the 1944 Education Act, boys began to leave St. Joseph’s at eleven to move to either a Grammar School, a Technical College or a Secondary Modern School.
From this time our school became known as St Joseph’s Primary School.
School roll: 330 with a waiting list of 38. Some children were taught in the Convent.
By this time extra buildings had been added.
Many of the surrounding houses were built straight after the war, and there was a lot of pressure on the school to expand.
More rooms (including pre-fabs) were added to accommodate extra children.
The intake at this time was 70 children per year – Mr Brennan (the Headteacher) had a reputation for never turning a child away.
At this point the rooms being heated by coal fires.
The school marked the centenary with the performance of a pageant at St. Joseph’s College in March and the celebration of an open-air mass in the school grounds in June.
There was also a parents-teacher association dance at St. Joseph’s College in September.
The newly built Junior School was opened, with the entrance in Woodend.
The new Infant School building was opened; all children entering through Woodend.
The school was separated into two schools under two Headteachers.
The first computer was supplied to the Junior School, followed by one to the Infant School.
The first Junior School Library / Music Room was opened by Bishop Tripp.
The Nursery was opened by Bishop Tripp.
The Infant School building was extended to provide a new entrance and offices
Gold Artsmark was awarded to the Juniors
The new extension to the Junior School was built – foyer, office, Headteacher’s office.
The Junior School Choir won the nationwide competition to sing the signature tune of the new Sky One programme “Are you Smarter than a Ten-year old?” and were taken to Elstree Studios to record it.
The Junior School Recorder Group was heard several times on BBC Radio 4’s “PM“ programme playing the theme tune to Upstairs Downstairs as part of the daily “Upshares Downshares” report.
The Parish Hall was bought and renamed the Garden Hall.
The Angel Garden was built and opened in the Infants.
The Breakfast and After-School Club was opened fully after several previous attempts.
The Federation of St. Joseph’s Catholic Junior, Infant and Nursery Schools was formed.
The Federation became part of the Croydon Catholic Primary Schools Umbrella Trust.
Mrs Fernandes appointed as Headteacher
St Joseph’s awarded School Games Platinum Mark Award
St Joseph’s Juniors receives an OUTSTANDING rating from OFSTED
St Joseph’s Infants & Nursery receives an GOOD rating from OFSTED